Last Updated on September 20, 2022 by Rose Morah
If you looking for cheap places to travel during Christmas, or just want to avoid snow, this article has listed some of the best places you can take your winter vacation in the US.
1. Key West, Florida
Florida is a nice place to visit for your warm winter vacation in the US. This is because the weather, especially in December, is usually excellent, with little rain and moderate temperatures compared to other places.
The following are some of the best things to do in Key West:
- Take a trip to Fort Jefferson.
Book early in advance because tickets are usually sold out in months.
- Renting bikes will make your experience even much better.
- Go to Fort Zachary beach.
- Take a kayak and snorkel trip. I recommend the Danger Charters tour for this trip.
- Enjoy a sunset sail on Argo Navis.
- Catch the sunrise at White Street Pier.
- Visit The Key West Garden Club at West Martello Tower.
The last time I was here it was free, with free parking too.
- Visit Key West Wildlife Center.
- Visit Key West Tropical Forest and Botanical Gardens.
- The Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory.
Some of the best places to eat in Key West include;
- Cuban Coffee Queen, for good coffee and breakfast.
- Take breakfast at Two Friends on Front St.
You take breakfast as you listen to live music.
- Onlywood, for a good family dinner.
- Eat lunch at Eaton Street Market.
- Eat at Conch Republic Seafood Company for fair prices, a nice view, and an atmosphere.
Things To Do In Downtown Los Angeles.
Top 15 Cheapest Destinations to Travel Internationally.
2. Palm Springs, California
Palm Springs is a great place to visit in the winter season because the weather is normally great for people who are looking to explore and experience the outdoors.
The last time I was there in December, the sun would rise before 7 am. That December was sunny and beautiful!
If you plan to visit Palm Springs, I recommend reading our article on fun things to do at Palm Springs.
3. Yuma, Arizona
If you are trying to escape the cold winter weather, Yuma is also a great place to visit during winter in the US. The weather in Yuma is not freezing. It is actually so beautiful.
Additionally, Yuma is also known as the warmest winter city in the US.
Some of the fun things to do in Yuma, AZ, include:
- Flying in hot air balloons.
- Going to the museums and Gardens. A good example is Castle Dome Mine Museum & Ghost Town, Sanguinetti House, and Yuma Conservation Garden.
- Visiting The Yuma’s Territorial Prison State Historic Park.
- Visit the “Center of the World”. This is free and fun during winter in Arizona.
See also: Emergency Kit For Your Car In Winter.
4. California beach towns
The California coast remains snow-free even during the winter seasons.
Avila Beach is known to be the warmest Beach in California during the winter season.
Some of the best beach towns to visit during winter in California are:
- La Jolla.
- San Clemente.
See also: Fun Places To Go On A Road Trip With Friends in the US.
5. New Mexico
New Mexico gets cold but it does not snow that much. Therefore, this makes it a great place to visit if you want to do some exploring.
I would also recommend avoiding the mountain town of Red River. It is normally one of the snowiest places in New Mexico.
Some of the things to do in New Mexico include:
- Taking a trip to Carlsbad Caverns.
- Going to White Sands. It is surreal!
- Meow Wolf in Santa Fe is also a great place to visit.
Finally, be sure to check the weather a few days before you travel. This year the weather has been pretty unpredictable!